Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Ankle Surgery

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pubmed&pubmedid=12937568

Attached is the best description of my ankle issue. The Doc that handles all of OSU sports foot and ankle issues said surgery was the only way to fix the Breves Tendon. MRI show a split tear. I found that surgery was my only option 10 minutes after walking into his office. I was stunned. The day prior I ran 20 miles after a 4 week break from running. I could not imagine surgery in my wildest dreams. 11 days after my office visit I was being prep'ed.

Surgery went well. No issues. I spent little time in the staged recovery rooms. I was at Grant Sports Med in Columbus at 8:45a went to surgery at 1:20p and was wheeled out of the facility at 4:20. Surgery was originally scheduled the week following however a stand by slot opened for Last Friday and I took it.

With one unfortunate exception I have had my ankle elevated and iced for 5 days. My guess is 200 of the last 220 hours. The ankle feels good. The device to keep the ankle iced is a cooler with inlet + outlet hose and a pump. The cooler is filled part way with H2O and filled with one bag of ice. I have gone through 6 bags of ice + all the ice our frig has made over the 5 days.

I return to work Thursday 02/19/09. I negotiated this day w/ the doc. I said I can spend only so much time on the computer at home. I have a few culverts to design and can work with CADD for the next few weeks. I have a follow up apt Tuesday. I will likely found out what they found during surgery and how the wound is healing. At that point we can begin discussing Phase 3 rehab.

No comments:

Post a Comment